Births, Deaths and Marriages
Whānautanga, Matenga, Mārenatanga
Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) registers and maintains New Zealand birth, death, marriage, civil union and name change information, and issues certificates and printouts.
Our public counters in Auckland, Manukau, Wellington, Christchurch and Sydney are closed.
We are currently operating with significantly reduced staff, which is impacting service and delivery times. We thank you for your patience.
If you can, apply online or by post. For urgent enquiries, call us.
False claims about birth certificates:
There have been online claims about birth certificates that are not true. New Zealand birth certificates:
- are not linked to bonds or financial institutions
- only have reference numbers on the back of them for internal use by the Department of Internal Affairs - these are not shared with other agencies
- cannot usually be used on their own as proof of identity.
Services BDM helps provide
Death and bereavement
Proving your identity
Separating or getting divorced
Information for marriage celebrants
Fertility issues and assisted reproduction
Search historical records
- How to get married in NZ
- Getting married overseas
- Finding a celebrant
- Registry ceremonies
- Get a marriage licence
- Changing your name when you get married
- Get a marriage certificate
- Change a civil union to a marriage
- Submit a notice of objection to someone's wedding
- Information for marriage celebrants