Skip to main content

Get someone else’s birth, death, or marriage certificate

New Zealand birth, death, marriage, civil union and name change certificates are public records. In most cases, they can be ordered by anyone.

Historical births, deaths and marriages

You can search online for:

  • birth records that are at least 100 years old
  • stillbirth records that are at least 50 years old
  • marriage records that are at least 80 years old
  • death records that are at least 50 years old, or
  • death records where the deceased’s date of birth was at least 80 years ago.

Search historical births, deaths and marriages

Recent births, deaths and marriages, and civil union and name change records

You can order more recent records from Births, Deaths and Marriages.

You’ll need:

  • the full name of the person whose record you want (or the full names of both people, if it’s a marriage or civil union), and
  • the year of their birth, death, or marriage.

Get a birth certificate

Get a death certificate

Get a marriage certificate

Get a record of a name change

If you do not know the year of the event

If you do not know the year of the birth, death or marriage, you can ask Births, Deaths and Marriages to search their records. There may be an extra cost for this.

Get help to find birth, death and marriage records

Non-disclosure directions

A non-disclosure direction on someone’s records means that only the person who’s the subject of the information (or anyone they authorise) can get a certificate or printout of their records.

If you ask for a certificate or printout that’s affected by a non-disclosure direction, Births, Deaths and Marriages will tell you that the information exists, but cannot be provided.

Access to your birth, marriage and name change records

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated