Births, Deaths and Marriages
Whānautanga, Matenga, Mārenatanga
Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) registers and maintains New Zealand birth, death, marriage, civil union and name change information, and issues certificates and printouts.
BDM service timeframes:
Our kaimahi are working hard to process applications as quickly as possible.
Check this page for regularly updated BDM service timeframes:
New civil registration system in 2024:
A new civil registration system is coming in 2024. Births, Deaths and Marriages will provide more details as we move closer to this change.
False claims about birth certificates:
There have been false online claims about birth certificates.
New Zealand birth certificates:
- are not linked to bonds or financial institutions
- only have reference numbers on the back for internal use by the Department of Internal Affairs — these are not shared with other agencies
- cannot usually be used on their own as proof of identity.
Services BDM helps provide
Death and bereavement
Proving your identity
Separating or getting divorced
Information for marriage celebrants
Fertility issues and assisted reproduction
Search historical records
- How to get married in NZ
- Getting married overseas
- Finding a celebrant
- Registry ceremonies
- Get a marriage licence
- Changing your name when you get married
- Get a marriage certificate
- Change a civil union to a marriage
- Submit a notice of objection to someone's wedding
- Information for marriage celebrants