Apply for NZ citizenship
Complete and submit your application for NZ citizenship.
Before you apply, check you're eligible.
1. Complete your application forms
If you're an adult
If you're applying for a child
If you're from Samoa
The process is the same as the main NZ citizenship application process, but the forms are different.
If you're marrying a New Zealander
New Zealand doesn’t have any special rights for foreigners marrying New Zealanders — you have to go through the same citizenship process as everyone else.
2. Find someone to witness your application
A witness needs to sign 1 of your passport photos and then complete the witness section of your application form.
Your witness must be either:
- an NZ passport holder
- a citizenship case officer, or
- a Department of Internal Affairs customer services officer.
If your witness is an NZ passport holder they must:
- be over 16
- have a current NZ passport
- have known you for at least 1 year
- not be related to you or part of your extended family
- not live in the same house as you.
If you want a case officer to be your witness, you can call or email to make an appointment. Bring your original documents with you.
Freephone: 0800 22 51 51 (NZ only)
3. Submit your application
Apply in person
You can make an appointment to apply in person.
You'll need to bring your completed application form, fee, photos, and documents.
At the appointment, you meet with a case officer who:
- checks your application form
- checks that you are eligible
- photocopies your documents and gives them back to you
- acts as your witness and certifies your photos
- accepts your application fee.
You can make an appointment to apply in person at 1 of our 4 main offices. Phone or email the office to make an appointment.
During the year, citizenship officers also have appointments in other offices around New Zealand.
Apply by post
You'll need to send your completed application form, fee, photos, and documents.
You have to send your original documents. Use a tracked courier bag. Your documents are couriered back to you after about 2 weeks.
Send your form and documents to:
Department of Internal Affairs
PO Box 10680
4. Pay the fee
- $470.20 to apply as an adult
- $235.10 to apply for a child.
You can pay by:
- personal or bank cheque
- credit card
- money order.
You can also pay by cash or EFTPOS at the citizenship offices in:
- Wellington (EFTPOS only)
If you're registering citizenship by descent to get a passport
Costs and what you need to know: