Privileges and responsibilities of a citizen
When you become a New Zealand citizen, you will have the same privileges as a person who was born here. You will also have the same responsibilities.
You are entitled to:
- live in New Zealand indefinitely
- travel overseas on a New Zealand passport
- stand for parliament or local government
- have full access to education
- have full economic and social rights
- represent New Zealand in sports.
- obey and promote the laws of New Zealand
- not act in a way that is against the interests of New Zealand
- register on the electoral roll — you do not have to vote, but you must enrol to vote
- pay tax
- behave as a responsible New Zealander.