Skip to main content

For information about COVID-19, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website

Financial help and benefits if you're over 65

If you've retired on a limited income, you may be able to get government help to pay for regular costs or unexpected expenses. You can use your SuperGold Card for transport and other discounts.

If you’ve been affected by COVID-19, Work and Income may be able to help.
COVID-19 — Work and Income

If you get NZ Super or a Veteran’s Pension, you can apply for government help to pay for:

  • housing, health or travel expenses
  • something that is essential, such as glasses, house repairs or a fridge
  • an emergency that you cannot pay for, like medical or dental treatment.

Help with housing or household costs

You can get help to pay for:

  • rent or board
  • your mortgage
  • your rates — including a rebate or refund from your local council, or postponing payments until you or your estate can pay
  • repairs and maintenance, especially if it’s urgent or essential, or you have a health problem or disability
  • low-cost housing through central government or your local council.

Get financial help with housing

If you have a disability or health problems

The government provides services and financial help if you have a disability or health problem. You can get help with:

  • paying for doctor’s visits and prescriptions
  • managing day-to-day and routine tasks in your home
  • paying for long-term care in a rest home or hospital, and
  • transport for medical reasons.

Government help with healthcare if you’re over 65

Help with transport costs

SuperGold Card

You can use your SuperGold Card to get free or cheaper public transport as well as discounts on some council services and from many businesses in New Zealand.

SuperGold Cards

If you do not have a car

You can get help to use and pay for other kinds of transport.

Coping without a car if you’re over 65

If you have a car

You may be able to get help to pay for car repairs if you need the car to get to work, because you have an illness or disability, or because you cannot use public transport.

Car repairs

If you’re injured and ACC has accepted your claim, you can get help with some costs.

Funded transport to work/school/other necessary trip

Paying for emergencies or essential needs

Work and Income provides a range of benefits to help with urgent and essential costs. If you apply, Work and Income need to know about your income and assets.

Advance Payment of Benefit

Work and Income gives you up to 6 weeks of your NZ Super or Veteran’s Pension in advance. You need to pay it back, usually in instalments.

Advance Payment of Benefit

Special Needs Grant

You can get a one-off payment to help you cover immediate costs, such as buying food or paying for emergency medical treatment. You do not have to pay it back.

Special Needs Grant

Temporary Additional Support (TAS)

TAS gives you up to 13 weeks to help you meet essential living costs, such as rent or health costs. The most you can get is 30% (after tax) of your main benefit, usually NZ Super, depending on what you need. You do not have to pay it back. If you apply for TAS, Work and Income works out first if you should get other benefits such as the Disability Allowance or Accommodation Supplement.

Temporary Additional Support

If you cannot get NZ Superannuation

You can still apply for government help if you cannot get get NZ Super, for example because you’re not a permanent NZ resident or have not lived here for long enough.

If you cannot get NZ Super or other benefits

Utility links and page information

Last updated