Skip to main content

If you cannot get NZ Superannuation or other benefits

If you cannot get any other financial support from the government, you can apply for help with day-to-day living costs and health.

Emergency Benefit

If you find you cannot support yourself or your family, you may be able to get an Emergency Benefit.

Work and Income need to know:

  • why you cannot get any other benefits — for example, because you’re not an NZ resident
  • about your income and assets.

An Emergency Benefit pays you an amount equal to a benefit you would have got if you had been eligible for it — for example, if you were an NZ citizen.

Emergency Benefit — Work and Income

SuperGold Card

Even if you cannot get NZ Super, when you turn 65, you can apply for a SuperGold Card.

SuperGold Cards — if you need to apply


If you’re eligible for publicly funded health services, you may also be able to get financial and other help with your healthcare or for a disability. Check for:

Housing and paying rent

You may be able to get access to low-cost housing or help with paying your rent.

Help with housing and paying rent

Your income in retirement

If you cannot get NZ Super, the Veteran’s Pension or other help from the government, you might be able to get income from other sources.

Income after you turn 65

More information and contact details

You can get more help with your retirement and other topics through:

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated