Skip to main content

Help with housing and paying rent

If you’re having trouble finding or affording a stable home, you may be able to get access to low-cost housing or help with accommodation costs.

If you’ve been affected by COVID-19, Inland Revenue or Work and Income may be able to help.

Help with rent and housing costs

If you need help to pay rent or other accommodation costs, or support to stay in your home, Work and Income may be able to help.

Housing costs

Get help with rates

You might be able to get help with your rates payments.

Nowhere to stay

If you have nowhere to stay right now, Work and Income may be able to help you find somewhere until you can get something longer-term.

Nowhere to stay

Apply for low-cost housing

If you cannot afford a private rental, you may be able to live in public housing where the Government pays part of the rent. You can check if you qualify for public housing with Work and Income.

Public housing

If you’re over 65

Some local councils offer public housing to older people for less than what you would pay to rent or buy on the open market.

For example, Auckland Council offers a scheme to buy an own-your-own unit.

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated