Skip to main content

SuperGold cards

Who can get a SuperGold or Veteran SuperGold card, how to replace a lost card, where you can use the card in New Zealand and Australia. The card is issued by the Ministry of Social Development (MSD).

Who can get a card

You automatically get a SuperGold card or Veteran’s SuperGold card sent to you when you turn 65, if you get NZ Superannuation (NZ Super) or a Veteran’s Pension.

If your partner or spouse has included you in their NZ Super application as a non-qualifying partner, you’ll both get a card when their application has been approved.

Even if you do not get NZ Super or a Veteran’s Pension, you can still apply for a card — criteria apply.

If you’re already getting a benefit

If you’re getting a benefit from Work and Income before you turn 65, you will not be able to apply for a SuperGold card until your 65th birthday.

How to apply for a SuperGold card

You can apply for a SuperGold card if you are:

  • at least 65
  • a New Zealand resident.

Information about how to apply is on the SuperGold website. The application form can be downloaded from the section about applying for the card.

Getting the SuperGold card — SuperGold

Forms are also available at Work and Income service centres.

Find a service centre — Work and Income

Return your completed form to MSD with your identification (ID) documents, by mail, email or to a service centre.

How to apply for a Veteran’s SuperGold card

You can apply for a Veteran’s SuperGold card if you:

  • are at least 65
  • are a New Zealand resident
  • have a qualifying operational service.

More information about the criteria and documentation requirements is on the SuperGold website in the section about applying for a Veteran SuperGold card:

Veteran SuperGold — SuperGold

If you need to provide a certified copy of a document

A certified copy is a copy of the original document that has been copied, stamped and initialled by a Justice of the Peace, a solicitor or a Court Registrar. Your local Work and Income office can also certify copies for you.

When to apply

Depending on your situation, you may be able to apply for a SuperGold card or Veteran’s SuperGold card in the months before you turn 65.

Contact MSD by freephone, email or ask at their service centre, to check if you’re eligible to apply before your birthday.

Contact us — SuperGold

What you can use your card for

Use your SuperGold card or Veteran SuperGold card to get business discounts, free or discounted council services, and free off-peak travel on public transport.

On the SuperGold website you can find discounts on offer by searching:

If you use a Community Service Card

If you use a Community Service Card, your details are added on the back of your SuperGold or Veteran SuperGold cards, so you can use it for both health subsidies and SuperGold discounts.

Note that this card has an expiry date and MSD will contact you when it’s time to update your card.

Community Services Card — Work and Income

Using your SuperGold card in Australia

Check for available discounts in the different Australian states.

Using your SuperGold card in Australia — SuperGold

Australians using a Seniors Card in NZ

If you have an Australian Seniors Card in NZ, ask the business if you can use your card to get a discount. Discounts do not apply to public transport.

Seniors Card in New Zealand — SuperGold

Replace a lost or stolen card

You can order a free replacement card by contacting MSD:

Update your details

To update your details, such as if you changed your name, contact MSD:

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated