Skip to main content

For information about COVID-19, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website

If you live overseas now

If you live overseas, you may be able to keep getting some or all of your NZ Superannuation or Veteran's Pension. What you’ll get depends on where you go and how long you’ve lived in New Zealand.

Apply to get your payment overseas

You need to make an appointment with International Services at Work and Income, and complete an application form.

Your appointment with International Services must be 4-6 weeks before you leave.

Find out more on the Work and Income website:

Living overseas

How much you’ll get

What you get depends on which country you move to.

Residing in Australia

Residing in certain Pacific countries

Residing in the United Kingdom

Residing in Canada, Denmark, Greece, Republic of Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey, Malta or the Netherlands

If you live in the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau

You may be able to get your NZ Super or Veteran’s Pension.

NZ Super or Veteran’s Pension for Cook Islands, Niue and Tokelau residents


You can choose whether your NZ Super or Veteran’s Pension gets paid:

  • every 4 weeks into an overseas bank account, or
  • every 2 weeks into a New Zealand bank account.

Your first payment happens on the first payday after you leave NZ.

Client declarations

Work and Income send you a declaration every 6 or 12 months, depending on your circumstances. The declaration is to check if anything has changed, such as your relationship status or your contact details. You must complete and return the declaration.

Your NZ Super or Veteran’s Pension stops if you do not return the declaration within 8 weeks, and is cancelled if it’s not returned within 16 weeks.

Utility links and page information

Last updated