Skip to main content

For information about COVID-19, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website

Help with mental health and addiction

Specialist health services and resources for mental illness or addiction.

Information on how to cope with the stress of COVID-19

Help is available if you do not feel safe or need support.
It's OK to ask for help — Safe Bubble

Mental health and addiction services

You do not have to deal with a mental illness or addiction on your own — there are resources, helplines, support groups, websites and counsellors available.

Information and resources to help with mental illness and addiction.

Mental health resources

What to do in an emergency, find a list of helplines and access other resources to help you find services.

Mental health services

Alcohol and drug use can affect your physical health, state of mind, relationships and finances. If you or someone you care about has an alcohol or drug problem, there’s help available.

Alcohol and drugs

Talk to your health professional, or find support in your local area.

Support groups and counselling

If you’re worried about your own or someone else’s gambling, you can call 0800 654 655 anytime — or free text 8006.

Gambling helpline

Financial assistance

Answer some questions to find out which benefits you might be entitled to. It’s confidential — the tool asks you questions but Work and Income do not see your answers. You’ll be asked:

  • for personal information about you and your partner
  • what you’ve earned in the last year
  • about any health conditions or disabilities
  • how much you pay in rent or mortgage payments
  • the value of your assets.

Check what you might get from Work and Income

Support for family, whānau and caregivers

Practical help for people who care for family or friends with mental health problems.

A guide for carers

Compulsory assessment and treatment

If you think someone you care about needs to be seen by a mental health doctor, you can apply for a compulsory assessment by writing to your local Director of Area Mental Health Services. You need to contact your local district health board to get their details.

A compulsory treatment order is a court order that requires someone to be treated for a mental illness. When the assessment period is over, the responsible doctor can apply to the Family Court to continue treatment.

Compulsory treatment order

The Family Court can:

  • issue a warrant to enforce you to attend an assessment
  • review the compulsory assessment order
  • review a compulsory treatment order.

The role of the Family Court on mental health

Utility links and page information

Is there something wrong with this page?