Skip to main content

For information about COVID-19, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website

Caring for someone with a health condition, injury or illness

You might be able to get money to help with caring for someone at home who has a disability, illness or health problems because of old age.

Caring for someone at home

If you’re caring for someone at home you might be able to get help with costs and making changes to your home.

Supported living payment

Supported Living Payment is a payment if you’re caring for someone full time who’d otherwise need hospital-level or residential care. This person cannot be your spouse or partner.

Supported living payment

Carer support subsidy

Carer Support is money towards using a support person to care for someone with a disability, so you can take some time out for yourself. You can use it to pay:

  • friends, some family members or neighbours who provide relief care
  • an organisation that provides professional relief care, like a rest home.

Carer support

Disability allowances

Disability Allowance is a weekly payment to help with regular and ongoing costs, like:

  • visits to the doctor or hospital
  • medicines
  • extra clothing
  • travel.

Disability Allowance

Child Disability Allowance is paid if you’re the main carer of a child or young person with a serious disability.

Child Disability Allowance

Lottery grants

People with disabilities can apply for grants to help pay for:

  • vehicles and vehicle modifications
  • scooters and other mobility equipment
  • communication equipment.

Lottery individuals with disabilities grants

Help modifying a house or car

House Modification Funding helps pay for changes you need to make to your home if you or your child have a disability.

Home modifications

House modification funding

Car Modification Funding is a payment which helps with the cost of buying or modifying a car.

Car modification funding

Other support and advice

Carers New Zealand is a network of carers around the country who can offer support and practical advice.

Carers New Zealand

Community-based services to give carers short-term breaks.

Respite services

Utility links and page information