Skip to main content will be down for scheduled maintenance from 8pm to 11pm on Wednesday 6  and Thursday 7 December.

What is a rates rebate

A rates rebate is a partial rebate for eligible, low-income ratepayers who pay rates on their home to the council. Find out if you are eligible to apply for the current rating year.


The Rates Rebates Scheme provides a rebate for eligible applicants.

To apply for a rebate for the current rating year, you need to:

  • provide the total household income, before tax
  • complete the rates rebate application form
  • if applicable, complete the retirement village or company-share declaration form 
  • return your application to the council by 30 June each year.

If you think you are eligible, check the following guidance. If you have a query, contact your council.

Who can apply

To apply for the rebate, you must be:

  • living in your home on 1 July of the current rating year. (It’s ok to have a short stay away such as being on holiday or in hospital.)
  • listed as the ratepayer in the council’s Rating Information Database (RID).

Also check the following types of ownership and living situations. If you have a query, contact your council.

Other types of ownership and living situations

If you live in a retirement village

Most retirement village residents, including people who live under a licence to occupy agreement, can apply for a rates rebate.

In your application, also complete the Retirement village residents declaration form.

If your name is not on the rates bill

You may still be able to apply if your name is not on the rates bill, for example if you live in an owner-occupier flat, such as a company share flat or apartment.

In your application, also complete the Company-share apartment residents declaration form.

If you live in a trust-owned property

You need to be a named trustee and also listed in the council’s Rating Information Database (RID) to be able to apply.

If you own more than 1 property, you cannot claim for other properties even if they’re in a different council area.

You cannot apply for a rebate if your property:

  • is not your usual place of residence, or
  • is mainly used for commercial activities, for example, farming or business, or is a rental property or holiday home.

How to apply

To apply for a rebate:

  1. Get a rebate estimate using the Rates rebate calculator.
  2. If you think you’re eligible for a rebate, follow the steps in Apply for a rates rebate: application forms.
  3. Download and complete the forms that apply for your situation.
  4. Contact the relevant government agencies for your proof of income, where required.
  5. Return the application to your council no later than 30 June each year.

What happens next

The council may contact you to confirm your application details.

If you’re successful, your council deducts the amount of your rebate from your rates bill.

If you’ve already paid your rates in full, the council will contact you about your rebate.

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated