Rates rebate calculator
Use the calculator to work out what you might get as a rates rebate.
Information you need
You need the following information when you use the calculator:
- the total rates you will pay for the current rating year — 1 July 2023 to 30 June 2024
- the number of dependants living with you on 1 July 2023
- your total household income before tax for the last tax year — 1 April 2022 to 31 March 2023.
The calculator provides an estimate only. Read the following for help with questions 2 and 3, if required.
Who is a ‘dependant’
For question 2, a dependant includes eligible children or relatives.
Do not count your spouse or partner. They are included in question 3 about total household income, before tax.
Enter 0 in the question 2 answer field.
Eligibility criteria to meet
The eligibility criteria for a dependant child are that, on 1 July 2023, the child:
- is under the age of 18
- is not married, in a civil union or de facto relationship.
The eligibility criteria for a dependant relative are that, on 1 July 2023, the dependent relative:
- is a relative of the ratepayer
- receives a government benefit (but not NZ Superannuation).
Shared custody of a dependant
If the number of days a dependant stays with you is half-time or varies each week, enter 1 in the question 2 answer field.
About ‘total household income before tax’
The following is a general summary of what is included as total household income.
- income that both you, and your spouse or partner, and / or joint homeowner living at the property received in the previous tax year
- ‘before tax’ income for the tax year 1 April 2022 to 31 March 2023
- income from other sources, for example, government payments, interest and dividends, trusts and rentals
- income from self-employment, which is the net income.
For more information about total income, see the application forms in step 1 of Apply for a rates rebate: application forms.
Applications close on 30 June each year. Find out how to apply at:
If you think you could be eligible for a rebate, complete the application form. Contact your council if you have any questions.Apply for a rates rebate: application forms