Skip to main content

Apply for a rates rebate: application forms

Once you receive your rates bill, you can apply for a rebate for the current rating year period 1 July 2023 to 30 June 2024. You must return your application to the council by 30 June 2024.

  1. 1

    Complete the application form

    You can print the form to fill it in. Post or drop off your application as explained in Step 4.

    Rates rebate application form (PDF 370KB)

    You can also ask your local council for paper forms.

    Find your local council — click on your region to get a map

    If one of the following declaration forms applies, include it with your rates rebate application form when you apply.

    If you live in a retirement village

    Your village manager must complete a declaration form.

    Retirement village residents — Declaration form (PDF 152KB)

    If you live in a company-share apartment

    The person who is responsible for paying rates for the whole property must sign a declaration form.

    Company-share apartment residents — Declaration form (PDF 270KB)

  2. 2

    Get proof of income

    You will need to show the council proof of income.

    Proof of income from Inland Revenue

    You can get a summary of income by logging into Inland Revenue.

    Or you can call Inland Revenue on 0800 227 774 (NZ only).

    Proof of income from Work and Income

    You can ask your case manager to give you a letter showing your income.

    If you’re self-employed

    You will need to provide a copy of your complete set of financial accounts, IR3B or IR10.

  3. 3

    Sign the verification declaration on the form

    You need to confirm on the form that the information you’ve provided is true. You do this by signing the verification declaration.

  4. 4

    Give the application to your council

    Post or drop off your application to your council.

    Find your local council — click on your region to get a map

    Your application is due by 30 June each year.

  5. 5

    What happens next

    If you’re successful, your council deducts the amount of your rebate from your rates bill.

    If you’ve already paid your rates in full, the council will contact you about your rebate.

    Check if you could get more help with housing costs.

    Help with housing and paying rent

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated