Skip to main content

For information about COVID-19, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website

Get a translation to use in another country

When you use a NZ document in another country, you might need to get it translated. You will probably need to get it apostilled or authenticated too.

You can use the Department of Internal Affairs Translation Service or you can organise your own translation.

Use the Translation Service

If you need a translation and apostille or authentication

It costs $95 to translate each standard document. The Translation Service will tell you if the fee is different for your translation.

On the application form for an apostille or authentication, say which language you want your documents translated into and spell all the names you want on the translation.

Use your NZ documents overseas

If you only need a translation

You can follow the same process for translating documents into English.

Translating documents

Organise your own translation

You do not have to use the Department of Internal Affairs Translation Service. You can arrange the translation yourself.

If you organise your own translation, you need to get it notarised by a New Zealand notary public.

Getting a document notarised

Utility links and page information

Last updated