Get help to find birth, death and marriage records
If you don't know the year of a record you're looking for, you can ask Births, Deaths and Marriages to search for it.
How it works
You need to tell Births, Deaths and Marriages:
- the full name of the person whose record you want (or the full names of both people, if it’s a marriage or civil union)
- the type of record (birth, death, marriage, civil union or name change)
- the date, year, or range of years to search
- the place where the event happened, and
- any other information that could help them find the record (for example, parents’ names).
If you’re searching for a name change, you need to give the person’s date and place of birth.
What it costs
- $25 to search a 3-year period, and
- $1 for each extra year.
Search costs are on top of the cost of getting a certificate or printout.
You have to pay for the search even if the record isn’t found.