Skip to main content

Have you been affected by Cyclone Gabrielle? Find out what support is available: National Emergency Management Agency —

Youth benefits

Payments for young people aged 16 or 17 who cannot live with their parents, and for young parents aged 16 to 19.

If you’ve been affected by COVID-19, Inland Revenue or Work and Income may be able to help.

Financial help

Youth payment

The youth payment is a weekly payment if you:

  • are 16 or 17

  • do not have any children

  • cannot live with your parents, and

  • have no other financial support.

Youth payment

Young parent payment

A weekly payment which helps young parents aged 16 to 19.

Young parent payment

Guaranteed childcare assistance payment

Help towards the cost of childcare if you’re:

  • under 20
  • have a child under 5, and
  • are in full time education, training or work based learning or at school.

Guaranteed childcare assistance payment

Check what you might get from Work and Income

Answer some questions to find out which benefits you might be entitled to. It’s confidential — the tool asks you questions but Work and Income do not see your answers. You’ll be asked:

  • for personal information about you and your partner
  • what you’ve earned in the last year
  • about any health conditions or disabilities
  • how much you pay in rent or mortgage payments
  • the value of your assets.

Check what you might get from Work and Income

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.