Skip to main content

Scam alert: emails offering refunds from are not legitimate. If you receive this scam or other suspicious emails, report them to

Tax on investments and savings

You pay tax on income from all your savings and investments, whether they're in NZ or overseas. Your tax rate is based on your income.

Paying tax on investments and savings in NZ

All NZ citizens and residents pay either Resident Withholding Tax (RWT) or tax at the Prescribed Investor Rate (PIR) on income from savings and investments in New Zealand. You need to choose the correct tax rate or you could face an unexpected bill at the end of the tax year.

Tell your provider — that is, your bank, fund manager or financial advisor:

  • your IRD number
  • the tax rate you should pay, based on your income.

If you have a joint investment, you should use the tax rate of whoever earns the most.

How to pay tax

Rates for RWT

Visit the Inland Revenue (IR) website for information about RWT rates.

Using the right Resident Withholding Tax (RWT) rate — IR

Rates for PIR

If your investment is in a Portfolio Investment Entity (PIE) — for example managed funds like KiwiSaver — you pay tax at a different rate, known as PIR. Depending on your income, you pay between 10.5% and 28% tax.

Find my prescribed investor rate (PIR) — IR

How tax is collected

Your bank or financial provider deducts tax when they calculate the interest or dividends you’ve earned. This happens at least once a year. They pay the tax on your behalf to Inland Revenue and give you a statement of the tax you’ve paid in that financial year. They’ll either:

  • send the statement (IR15) to you, or
  • ask you to log into your IR account (My IR) and download it.

Changing your tax rate

To change the tax rate on your interest or investment income, complete an IR456 form and give it to your financial provider. Sometimes you can also do this over the phone or online.

Using the right resident withholding tax (RWT) rate — IR

If you have overseas investments

You have to pay tax on any foreign investments you have, even if you’re a newly arrived resident.

Overseas investments include:

  • pension schemes
  • shares in foreign companies
  • rental properties in another country
  • bank accounts.

The tax rules for foreign investments are complicated. They vary depending on what kind of investments you have and which country your investments are held in.

If you’ve received overseas income that’s also been taxed in another country, you may be entitled to a credit for the tax already paid. You’ll receive a credit for the smaller amount of tax you paid — either the tax due in NZ on that investment or the tax you paid overseas.

Most people with foreign investments seek professional advice from a tax agent or financial adviser to ensure they pay the right tax.

International tax — IR

If you get an overseas pension

Tax on overseas pensions is complex. How the tax is managed depends on:

  • whether your overseas pension is a government or private pension
  • whether the New Zealand Government has a tax agreement with the country your pension comes from
  • what other sources of income you have.

As well as paying tax on the income you receive, you may also have to pay tax on gains made by the overseas fund providing your pension.

NZ Superannuation, Veteran’s Pension and overseas pensions

Double tax arrangements on overseas pensions

To make sure you pay the right tax, you can apply to IR for a special tax code.

Choose the right tax code for your NZ Superannuation

If you’re not a resident of NZ for tax purposes

Tax on your investment and savings income is calculated differently if you’re not an NZ citizen or resident.

Tax residency status for individuals — IR

If you have investments in NZ, your provider will deduct Non-resident withholding tax (NRWT).

Non-resident withholding tax (NRWT): payer’s guide IR291 — IR

If you’re a new resident or a New Zealander returning from overseas

New residents and New Zealanders who have been living outside New Zealand for at least 10 years can get an exemption from paying tax on some investments.

Your exemption lasts for up to 4 years and means you do not pay PIR on income that you get from foreign investments as long as:

  • the income from them is made outside New Zealand
  • the investment is in a zero-rated PIE.

Some other overseas income is exempt from tax, including rent, royalties and capital gains from the sale of property.

Temporary tax exemption on foreign income for new migrants and returning New Zealanders

Portfolio investment entities — IR

Exemptions from paying RWT

Individual taxpayers cannot usually get an exemption from paying RWT. You might be exempt if you:

  • have earned or think you’ll earn more than $2 million a year
  • can prove that, because of losses or other circumstances, you would be due a RWT refund of $500 or more.

Temporary tax exemption — IR

To ask for an exemption, complete the application form (IR451).

Application for exemption from resident withholding tax (RWT) on interest and dividends IR451 — IR

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated