Skip to main content

Scam alert: emails offering refunds from are not legitimate. If you receive this scam or other suspicious emails, report them to

What you have to do when you’re getting a benefit

If you're getting a benefit, NZ Superannuation or a Veteran’s Pension from Work and Income, you must let them know if your contact details or circumstances change.

You must contact Work and Income immediately if:

  • you change your name
  • your contact details change — such as phone or email
  • you start or finish a job
  • the number of hours you work changes
  • your income changes
  • your relationship or family situation changes — for example you have a new baby
  • you move house
  • you’re going to hospital, prison or into residential care
  • you’re going overseas
  • your bank account changes
  • your housing costs change
  • you intend to start or stop studying
  • your tax code needs to change because your income has changed
  • you’re no longer eligible to get a benefit or payment.

What counts as income for benefits

You must tell Work and Income about changes that could affect your payments. If you do not, your benefit may be reduced or stopped. If you’ve been paid too much, you’ll have to pay that money back.

Your obligations

Individual benefits

Often benefits or payments have additional things you must do. Check the Work and Income website to find out what you need to do for the benefit you’re getting.

List of all benefits and allowances

When you’re getting NZ Superannuation or the Veteran’s Pension

How to let Work and Income know

You can use Work and Income’s online tool, MyMSD, to let them know about:

  • changes to your contact details — such as phone or email
  • changes to your accommodation costs
  • any changes to your relationship
  • a new baby
  • changes to the number of children in your care
  • money you’ve earned
  • changes in costs if you’re getting a Disability Allowance or Temporary Additional Support.


You can call Work and Income.

If you’re under 65, freephone: 0800 559 009 (NZ only).

If you’re 65 or older, freephone: 0800 552 002 (NZ only).

Other ways to contact Work and Income

You can use Work and Income’s online services, to let them know about:

  • your job search
  • money you’ve earned
  • changes to your address or accommodations costs
  • changes to your contact details — such as phone or email
  • changes to your bank account details
  • plans to travel overseas
  • changes to your childcare arrangements.

0nline services

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated