Skip to main content

For information about COVID-19, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website

Go overseas to work

What you need to know and do when you’re going overseas to work.

Check the official COVID-19 website about travel restrictions.

International travel — COVID-19 website

Going overseas

Before you go, you need to make sure you’ve got the correct visa to work in the country you’re going to. Rules are different, depending on where you’re going, so make sure you meet all the requirements before you leave.

Travel or move to Australia

Register as a New Zealander overseas to help the NZ government find you in an emergency and makes it easier for you to get help if you need it.

Register as a New Zealander overseas

Stay up to date on issues that could affect you while travelling

Before you go

Make sure you’ve got everything in order before you go, otherwise you could have to pay more when you come back.

You will not be able to leave the country if you have unpaid fines.

Check if you have a fine

If you get a benefit from Work and Income, you must let them know your travel plans and your reasons for travel before you leave NZ. Partners travelling must also let them know. If you do not your benefit might stop the day after you leave.


If you receive NZ Super or the Veteran’s Pension, what you'll get depends on where you go and how long you've lived in NZ.

Moving overseas if you get NZ Super or the Veteran's Pension

If you pay child support and are planning to go overseas for any reason, you need to contact Inland Revenue.

Child support payments

If you do not meet your repayment obligations you could be arrested when you return to NZ. Make sure you keep up your student loan payments while you're overseas or you could be charged interest and penalties.

Student loans

You might need to file a tax return (IR3) that covers the period up to the date you leave NZ. You may also need to file a tax return at a later time showing details of any income you've earned overseas or from an NZ source.

Find out if you should file a tax return