Skip to main content will be down for scheduled maintenance from 8pm to 11pm on Wednesday 6  and Thursday 7 December.

How to pay the International Visitor Levy

Most people visiting New Zealand for a short period of time must pay the NZD$35 International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL).

Note: The IVL is included in the cost of your NZeTA or visa. It’s not a separate payment.

What the levy is for

The IVL is used to help pay for conservation and tourism infrastructure in New Zealand.

People who must pay this levy

Most people entering New Zealand on a temporary basis will need to pay this levy. This includes:

  • people coming for a holiday (including through the working holiday scheme)
  • some student visas
  • some short-term work visas.

People who do not need to pay the levy

  • New Zealand citizens and residents (including all resident visas)
  • People transiting New Zealand on a transit visa or transit NZeTA
  • Australian citizens and permanent residents
  • People from the following Pacific Island countries:
    • American Samoa
    • Cook Islands
    • Fiji
    • Kiribati
    • Republic of Marshall Islands
    • Federated States of Micronesia
    • Niue
    • Nauru
    • Palau
    • Papua New Guinea
    • Pitcairn Islands
    • Samoa
    • Solomon Islands
    • Tonga
    • Tuvalu
    • Vanuatu.
  • Diplomatic, military, medical, and humanitarian visas
  • People travelling to Antarctica under the Antarctic Treaty (including people travelling on the Antarctic Traveller Transit Visa)
  • Recognised Seasonal Employment workers
  • Business Visitor Visas (including APEC business travel cards)
  • Ship and airline crew
  • Most visas for dependants (partners and children) of work and student visa holders
  • Travellers whose visa or NZeTA requirements have been waived by Immigration New Zealand

When to pay the levy

If you need to pay the IVL, you’ll pay it when you:

  • request an NZeTA, or
  • apply for your visa to New Zealand.

You’ll need to pay the IVL each time you request a new NZeTA or apply for a visa.

Note: Immigration NZ (INZ) does not refund your levy, even when your NZeTA or visa application is declined.

For payment options, refer to your NZeTA or visa.

Request an NZeTA — INZ

Apply for a visitor visa — INZ

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated