How to apply for a visitor visa
If you come to New Zealand on holiday, you might need to apply for a visitor visa before you arrive. Work out if you need a visa and what you need to do to apply.
Find out if you need to apply
If you're coming here for a holiday or to visit family for less than 3 months — or less than 6 months if you're from the UK — you (and your family) may not need to apply for a visa.
Choose how to apply
You can apply:
- online — most people find this faster and easier, or
- using a printed form — the most common is Visitor Visa Application INZ 1017.
If you don't provide all the documents you're asked for, Immigration New Zealand (INZ) returns your application.
Find out what it costs and how long it takes
What you pay for your visa depends on the method you use to apply — applying online is usually cheaper. Most people pay by credit card (Mastercard, Visa or UnionPay). Find out what applies to you and how long it will take to get your visa.
You won't get a refund if your application is turned down.
Gather documents for your application
You need to prove that you:
- have a ticket out of NZ or money to buy one
- are in good health and of good character
- have money to live on while you're here or will be supported financially.
Prove your identity
With your application you need to:
- provide a colour photo — or 2 if you're using the paper form to apply
- have a passport that's valid for at least 3 months after the date you plan to leave New Zealand.
INZ will let you know if you need to send your passport to them before they approve your visa. For most online applications they don't need it.
Prove you're of good character and in good health
You must tell Immigration New Zealand about any offences:
- you've been charged with
- convicted of
- served time in prison for.
If you're staying for more than 6 months, you may need to get a chest X-ray or medical certificate.
Receive your visa
If your visa application is approved, you'll get a label in your passport or a letter.
The date your visa expires is on your visa. Unless you get another visa you must leave New Zealand on or before this date.
Plan your trip