Skip to main content

Healthcare if you’re in NZ on a work visa

If you’re coming to NZ to work you'll need to make sure you’re covered if you have a health problem.

Health care and insurance

You get access to the same publicly-funded medical treatment as Kiwis if you’re:

  • an Australian citizen or permanent resident who has lived, or intends to live, in NZ for 2 years or more
  • in NZ on a work visa that’s valid for 2 years or more — your work visa starts on your first day in NZ.

If you’re not, you’ll need to pay for all your medical care.

If you’re in an accident, your treatment is covered by ACC. This is comprehensive, no-fault personal injury cover for all NZ residents and visitors.


Who to contact for more help

If you need more help or have questions about the information or services on this page, contact one of the following agencies.

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated