Skip to main content

Complain to the Ombudsman

If you cannot solve a problem with a government agency, you can complain to the Ombudsman.

Complaining to the Ombudsman

Before making a complaint you should try to resolve it with the agency first.

The Ombudsman can investigate complaints about:

  • central government agencies eg Inland Revenue
  • local government agencies eg councils
  • Crown entities, for example, Health NZ — Te Whatu Ora, NZTA
  • tertiary education institutions eg wānanga, universities
  • school boards of trustees
  • state owned enterprises eg KiwiRail, NZ Post.

Make a complaint online

You can also:

If you’re making a complaint by email, fax or letter, include:

  • your personal details, including your postal address
  • information about your complaint, including the steps you’ve taken to resolve your complaint and the outcome you want
  • copies of relevant correspondence.

The Ombudsman may refuse to investigate your complaint if:

  • there’s another way you can get your complaint solved eg complaints about Police go to the Police Complaints Authority
  • your complaint is more than 12 months old
  • your complaint is trivial
  • you do not have enough personal interest in the complaint.

If the Ombudsman decides not to investigate your complaint you’ll receive an explanation for that decision.

Who to contact for more help

If you need more help or have questions about the information or services on this page, contact the following agency.

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated