Get a warrant of fitness or certificate of fitness
A warrant of fitness (WoF) or certificate of fitness inspection is a regular check to make sure your vehicle is safe.
Check with the NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) for updates on COVID-19, agents, registrations, and scam alerts.
Warrants of fitness
It’s illegal to drive a car without a current WoF label.
Brand new vehicles
If your vehicle is brand new and has never been registered, it’ll be given an initial WoF inspection and issued with a WoF for 3 years.
Vehicles less than 3 years old
If your vehicle is:
- less than 2 years old, the WoF will be issued to the third anniversary of when it was first registered
- between 2 and 3 years old, the WoF will be issued for 12 months.
You have to get a warrant of fitness check every:
- 12 months if your vehicle was first registered anywhere in the world on or after 1 January 2000
- 6 months if your vehicle was first registered anywhere in the world before 1 January 2000.
Certificates of fitness
You need to get a certificate of fitness instead of a warrant of fitness if you own:
- a heavy vehicle — like a truck, large trailer or a motor home
- a passenger service vehicle — like a taxi, shuttle or bus
- a rental vehicle.
You need to have a certificate of fitness check every 6 months.