Skip to main content

Have you been affected by Cyclone Gabrielle? Find out what support is available: National Emergency Management Agency —

Change your name in your passport

If you want to change the name in your passport, you’ll need to apply for a new one. The name in your passport must be your officially registered name.

If your name has changed since your last passport was issued, you’ll have to apply for a new passport. You can apply for a passport online if your name was changed within New Zealand. 

You can change the name in your new passport if your name was changed by:

  • marriage or civil union
  • deed poll or statutory declaration.

You only need to provide original name change documents if your name was changed outside of NZ or in some special circumstances. 

Name change — Passports

Renew your adult passport

Apply for or renew a child passport

Utility links and page information

Last updated