Renew or replace your adult passport
Most people can renew their NZ adult passport online even if it's expired, lost, stolen or damaged. It costs $191 and takes up to 10 working days.
Check the Passports website for updates during COVID-19.
Renew your adult passport online
You can apply online if you want to:
- renew or replace a current or expired passport
- change your name on your passport — only if you’ve changed it within NZ
- replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport.
To renew your passport online you must be 16 or older and have a:
- passport already, even if it’s expired, lost, stolen or damaged
- digital passport photograph
- RealMe login — if you don’t have one you can create one during the online application
- credit card or a New Zealand Post Prezzy Card.
If you need to travel urgently
If you need to travel in a hurry you can apply to have your passport renewed urgently. Most people can do this online. It costs $382 and is processed within 3 working days.
You can also get help in an emergency if you’re travelling or living outside NZ.
If you need to renew using a paper form
There are two forms you can use to renew your passport — it depends on your situation.
Use the Adult Renewal Application form if you’re 16 or over and:
- you need to renew a current or expired passport
- your name hasn’t changed since your last passport was issued
- your passport has not been lost, stolen or damaged
- your NZ passport is a diplomatic or official passport.
Use the New Adult Passport Application form if you’re 16 or over and:
- your passport has been lost, stolen or damaged
- you’ve changed your name since your last passport was issued
- you’ve changed your gender since your last passport was issued
- you’ve got an endorsement printed on the observation page of your most recent NZ passport, or you’ll need one in your renewed passport.