Renew or replace your adult passport
Renewing an adult New Zealand passport costs $191 and takes up to 10 working days. Adult passports are valid for 10 years.
Renew your adult passport
You can apply online if you want to:
- renew or replace a current or expired passport
- change your name on your passport — only if you’ve changed it within NZ
- replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport.
To renew your passport online you must be aged 16 or older and have a:
- passport already, even if it’s expired, lost, stolen or damaged
- digital passport photograph
- RealMe login — if you do not have one you can create one during the online application
- credit, debit or Prezzy® card.
If you need to travel urgently
If you need to travel in a hurry you can apply to have your passport renewed urgently. It costs $382 and is processed within 3 working days.
Other ways to apply
The fastest way to apply for your passport is online – no paper, postage or visits to the office needed. Paper applications can take longer as they need extra processing.
If you do need to apply by post or in person, see: Apply for your passport