Skip to main content

For information about COVID-19, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website.

Changing your study plans

If you want to change what or where you're studying, you will need to apply for a variation of conditions to your current visa or get a new visa.

Find out how COVID-19 affects student visa holders and their education providers.

Student visa and COVID-19 information — Immigration NZ

Changing where and what you’re studying

You can apply to change:

  • your programme of study
  • your education provider
  • where you’re studying — that is, the location in New Zealand.

Before you change, you will need to:

  • apply for a new visa, or
  • change the conditions of your current visa.

Can I change my course and/or education provider?

Do not change courses or education provider until Immigration New Zealand (INZ) approves your plan. If you break the conditions on your current visa, you may have to leave New Zealand.

Applying to change study conditions

When you apply, you will need to provide evidence that you have been offered a place on another approved course — the new course should usually be at or above the level of your current course. You will also need to explain why you want to change.

If INZ accepts your application, they will ask for proof that you have paid the tuition fees or that you are exempt from paying.

Changing your work conditions

If you are studying at secondary school, you can apply to change how long and when you can work while you are studying. Your work rights are noted in the letter you receive approving your visa or on the label in your passport.

Working while on a student visa

How to apply

Complete the relevant parts of the application form.

Application for Variation of Conditions form — INZ 1020 (PDF 290KB)

Submit your application

Send your application form, the fee and your supporting documents to INZ.

Fees, decision times and where to apply

How long it takes

Check with INZ for more information.

You are a student

Utility links and page information

Is there something wrong with this page?

Page last updated: