Skip to main content

Complain about your utility provider

Make a complaint if you have a problem with your electricity, gas, water, phone, internet or an issue with access to shared property for broadband installations.

How to make a complaint

Many providers have their complaints process on their website. Use that or follow these next steps.

  1. 1

    Get advice before contacting the utility provider

    If you want some help before approaching your utility provider, you can contact Tautohetohe Whaipainga — Utilities Disputes (UDL) for guidance:

    Both UDL’s advice and resolution service are free and independent.

  2. 2

    Complain to your utility provider

    Talk to your utility provider if you’re having a problem with their service. If you cannot find your provider’s complaints process, use their ‘contact us’ information.

    Your provider has to resolve your complaint.

  3. 3

    If your problem is not resolved — use UDL’s free service

    If you’re not happy with the resolution offered by your utility provider, you can make a complaint with UDL. Check UDL’s website for their:

  4. 4

    If you’re still not happy

    The UDL Toihau (Commissioner) can make a recommendation that is binding.

    Complaints process: the Commissioner can make a recommendation — UDL

Other ways to make a complaint

If they fit your situation, consider using either the:

  • Telecommunications Dispute Resolution (TDR) service — for internet and phone complaints
  • Disputes Tribunal at the Ministry of Justice.

Use the TDR — a free service

Find out the steps TDR takes with a complaint and which phone and internet issues they can consider:

Make a complaint or get advice

If it looks like they can help with your situation, either:

Apply to the Disputes Tribunal — the cost depends on your claim

It might fit your situation to make a claim to the Disputes Tribunal at the Ministry of Justice. You can check by learning:

Make a claim with the Disputes Tribunal

If applying to the Disputes Tribunal fits your situation, follow their application process.

How to make a claim — Disputes Tribunal of New Zealand

How much it costs to make a claim

The amount you pay depends on how much you’re claiming.

Forms and fees for filing a claim — Disputes Tribunal of New Zealand

If your complaint is about a privacy issue

Complain about a privacy breach

More information about utilities complaints

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated