Fire and Emergency New Zealand
The fire and other emergency functions of 40 organisations have been combined into Fire and Emergency New Zealand from 1 July 2017.
Their role is to:
- respond to fires and other emergencies
- reduce the risk of fire in urban and rural areas
- work with communities and other emergency agencies
- reduce the number of wild fires in rural areas, and
- minimise the social, economic and environmental impacts of wild fires in rural areas.
They're made up of:
- 2807 career firefighters, and
- 11,300 volunteer firefighters.