Skip to main content

Disputes when buying a car

If you've bought a vehicle and something goes wrong, your rights depend on if you bought it from a motor vehicle trader or privately.

Check with the NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) for updates on agents, registrations, and scam alerts.


Buying from a trader

You’re covered if you buy a vehicle from a trader, even if you’ve bought from an auction or online. Dealers must identify themselves as traders online.

Find out about common problems, your rights and what to do:

Solving issues with your car dealer

You can complain to the Commerce Commission if you think the trader has misled you or their adverts made false claims — but you cannot complain to them about faulty vehicles.

Complain to the Commerce Commission

Buying a car privately

If you buy a car from a private person, you’re not covered by the same laws that cover buying from traders.

Solving issues with your private seller

Who to contact for more help

If you need more help or have questions about the information or services on this page, contact one of the following agencies.

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated