How to get an IRD number
It’s important to get an IRD number as all your tax, entitlements (like student loan or Working for Families Tax Credits) and personal details are linked to this number.
When do you need an IRD number?
You need an IRD number if you:
- earn any money (for example, from a job, benefit or pension)
- apply for:
- Working for Families Tax Credits
- a student loan
- child support
- open a bank account or join KiwiSaver
- file tax returns.
You may also need an IRD number if you're buying, selling or transferring New Zealand property.
You have to pay tax on any income you earn. If you don't have an IRD number, tax will be deducted at the non-declaration rate, which is higher than the normal rates.
If you're a NZ citizen
1. Complete an IRD number application form
2. Proof of ID
You need 2 different kinds of ID. To get your ID verified you'll need to show the original document and provide a clear photocopy.
1 of these:
- NZ or Australian passport (photocopy the picture page)
- full NZ birth certificate that was issued after 1 January 1998
- NZ citizenship certificate
- overseas passport with NZ immigration visa or permit (photocopy the picture/signature page and any NZ work or residency permits)
- NZ firearms or dealer's licence
- NZ refugee or emergency travel document or NZ certificate of identity.
And 1 of these:
- NZ driver licence
- NZ 18+ card
- NZ student photo ID
- overseas driver licence (with an authorised English translation if it's not in English)
- international driver's permit
- an offer of employment letter from your employer on company letterhead (if the first ID you use has your photo on it)
- a letter confirming you're registered as a student in NZ (if the first ID you use has your photo on it).
3. If you’ve changed your name
If any of your documents are in another name, you’ll also need to bring an original and a clear photocopy of a document proving your name change, like:
- a marriage or civil union certificate
- a name change certificate.
4. Take your form and documents to be verified
You can take your form and your supporting documentation (with a clear photocopy) to one of the following:
They’ll verify your documents and give you back the originals. Your form will then be sent to Inland Revenue.
5. What happens next
You’ll get your IRD number in 8 to 10 working days.
If you have a resident visa or a student or work visa
You can apply online if you have a NZ resident, student or work visa or an Australian passport.
- You need your passport details.
- If you are a visa holder, you also need your Immigration NZ application number (from your visa letter).
- If you have a student or work visa, you also need your most recent overseas tax number (if you have one) and proof of a NZ bank account.
If you live outside NZ
You need a New Zealand bank account (that you can both deposit money into and withdraw money from) before you apply for an IRD number.