KiwiRail Holdings Limited
- own and operate a national network which meets the needs of its customers
- provide for the transport of bulk and consolidated freight
- provide ferry services (forming the 'bridge' between the North and South Islands) for rail and road freight, and for passengers and their vehicles
- provide and support rail passenger services in metropolitan areas, and long distance services for both domestic and tourist markets
- manage and develop property holdings for rail operations and appropriate third-party land use.