Department of Conservation
All DOC facilities are closed during the COVID-19 lockdown. Check the Department of Conservation website for details.
- encourage New Zealanders to get involved in conservation and to get out and enjoy activities on conservation land
- protect New Zealand’s native plants, animals and habitats
- look after tracks, tramping huts and campgrounds on conservation land
- provide information for visitors to conservation land and manage visitor bookings
- work with businesses, community groups, iwi and others to help them get involved in conservation
- coordinate and train conservation volunteers
- manage permits and licences for hunters and fishers, and for companies that want to carry out business on conservation land, eg kayaking tour groups
- maintain and "bring back to life" some of New Zealand’s historical areas and buildings
- promote the benefits of conservation.