Protecting people by:
- approving weighing and measuring equipment before it’s used by traders
- checking the accuracy of weight and/or measure in pre-packaged or catch-weight goods (eg checking that pre-packaged meat is the advertised weight)
- investigating and responding to weights and measures complaints from consumers and business
- ensuring the safety of general consumer products being offered for sale or supply in NZ are safe
- monitoring the marketplace for emerging product safety risks and issues and responding to consumer complaints relating to unsafe goods
- monitoring the quality of retail fuel in NZ (diesel, petrol and bio-fuels)
- responding to and investigating complaints about the quality of retail fuel in NZ.
Trading Standards do not investigate products that have safety requirements set by other government agencies:
- food safety
- product recalls
- electrical safety
- gas safety
- hazardous substances, chemicals or cosmetics
- vehicles and child seat restraints
They are part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.