There are 3 different types of minimum wage rates depending on if you are an adult worker, a starting-out worker or a trainee.
Who can get minimum wage rates
The minimum wage applies to all employees aged 16 and over, who are:
- full-time, part-time, fixed-term, casual, working from home, and
- paid by wages, salary, commission or piece rates.
The Employment NZ website explains more about the following:
- Types of pay
- Minimum wage
- Types of wage rates: adult, starting-out, training
- Current minimum wage rates
When the minimum wage rate may not apply
The minimum wage may not apply if you are:
- disabled and have a minimum wage exemption
- employed in the agricultural industry
- under 16 years
- working in a foreign fishing crew.
Find out more of the Employment NZ website about employment conditions and employee rights:
- Minimum wage exemption for people with disability
- Agricultural industry
- Foreign fishing crews working in New Zealand
Immigration NZ has information in other languages for employers and employees:
Advice and support
Depending on your query, contact the relevant government agency: