$16.50 an hour if you're 16 years or over.
Minimum wage before tax
The adult minimum wage rate for employees aged 16 years or over is:
- $16.50 an hour before tax
- $660.00 before tax for a 40 hour week.
If you're under 16, there's no minimum wage.
The minimum rate for starting-out workers is:
- $13.20 an hour before tax
- $528.00 before tax for a 40 hour week.
Starting-out workers are:
- 16 and 17-year-olds who've been with their current employer for less than 6 months
- 18 and 19-year-olds who:
- have been paid a benefit for 6 months or more
- haven't worked for one employer for longer than 6 months since being on the benefit, and
- have been with their current employer for less than 6 months.
Once you've been with your current employer for 6 months, they need to pay you the minimum wage.
You can also be paid the starting-out wage if you're:
- 16 to 19 years old and your employment agreement requires you to do at least 40 credits a year of industry training
- 20 years or older and your employment agreement requires you to do at least 60 credits a year of industry training.