Skip to main content

Have you been affected by Cyclone Gabrielle? Find out what support is available: National Emergency Management Agency —

Your last pay when you leave a job

When you leave a job, you’re responsible for checking your final pay is taxed correctly. If it isn’t, you could get a bill from Inland Revenue at the end of the tax year.

COVID-19 financial support

If you have been affected by COVID-19, you may be able to access financial support.

Financial support online tool — Unite against COVID-19

What’s in your final pay

The Employment NZ website has information for employees and employers about:

  • when the employee should receive their final pay
  • what’s payment should be included, such as hours worked, holidays, other entitlements
  • any authorised deductions.

Final pay — Employment NZ

There’s a worked example to show final payment including holidays in the section ‘Final payment includes annual holidays, alternative holidays, a public holiday’ on the Employment NZ webpage:

Payment for leave and holidays in final pay — Employment NZ


Your employer takes tax and other payments off the total amount you’re paid out.

The Employment NZ website explains the types of deductions on wages and annual leave payments. These can include:

  • income tax
  • ACC levy
  • KiwiSaver
  • student loan repayments
  • child support
  • union fees
  • board and lodgings.

Deductions — Employment NZ

Agricultural employees getting accommodation and goods and services

If you’re an agricultural worker who also boards or rents accommodation at work, check the final pay conditions that apply.

Agricultural industry — Employment NZ

If you’re retiring

If you’re stopping work and you’re 65 or older, you need to make sure you pay the right amount of tax.

Your last pay when you retire 

Unsure about your final pay?

If you are unsure about your final pay and deductions made, first ask your employer. If you are still unclear, contact Employment NZ.

Contact us — Employment NZ

Update your details

If your circumstances change and you make payments from your wages, such as for child support, update your details with the relevant agencies.

Contact Work and Income early for help

The earlier you contact Work and Income, the better.

You're not working — Work and Income

Help with finding work

Job hunting

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated