Replace your driver licence if it's been lost or stolen
If you lose your licence or it's been stolen, replace it as soon as you can — you can be fined for driving without it.
Cancel your old licence
If your licence is lost or stolen, call NZTA on 0800 822 422 to cancel it as soon as possible — your licence contains a lot of personal information and could be used to commit identity fraud in your name.
Get a new licence
- Complete an application for a replacement driver licence.
- Prove your identity by showing one of the following:
- your expired NZ driver licence, as long as it did not expire more than 2 years ago
- your current NZ passport
- 2 other acceptable identity documents — they must be original and one should include a photo of you.
If your name is different on any of your identity documents, also take proof of your change of name, like a marriage licence or name change certificate.
- Go into any NZTA licensing agent with your documents and pay the $38.20 fee.
Expiry dates of replacement driver licences
You'll get your replacement licence right away. It will have the same expiry date as your old one — or you can choose to renew your licence at the same time (usually for another 10 years), but this costs more.
Get a new licence from overseas
You'll need to send your completed form and a certified copy of your ID to NZTA with a cheque or money order for $38.20.