Skip to main content

For information about COVID-19, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website.

Unite against COVID-19

Replace your driver licence if it's been lost or stolen

If you lose your licence or it's been stolen, replace it as soon as you can — you can be fined for driving without it.

Check with the NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) for updates on COVID-19 and available NZTA and agent services.


Cancel your old licence

If your licence is lost or stolen, call NZTA on 0800 822 422 to cancel it as soon as possible —  your licence contains a lot of personal information and could be used to commit identity fraud in your name.

Get a replacement licence

If you have a RealMe verified identity you may be able to apply online.

Apply for a replacement licence online

Alternatively, you can apply to replace your licence at a driver licensing agent. To apply at an agent, you will need to:

  • fill out an application form
  • prove your identity
  • pay the replacement licence fee.

Apply for a replacement licence at a driver licensing agent

Find a driver licensing agent

Acceptable evidence of identity for a driver licence application

Driver licence fees

Expiry dates of replacement driver licences

You’ll get your replacement licence right away. It will have the same expiry date as your old one — or you can choose to renew your licence at the same time (usually for another 10 years), but this costs more.

Renewing your licence

Get a new licence from overseas

If you have a RealMe verified identity, you can apply online and have your replacement licence card posted to you overseas. Alternatively, you’ll need to send your completed form and a certified copy of your ID to NZTA with a cheque or money order..

Replace your licence from overseas

Have your say about this page

Is there something wrong with this page?

Last Updated

Page last updated: