Apply for a new adult passport
You need a passport to travel overseas. Most people can apply for a new passport online. It costs $191 and takes up to 10 working days.
Check the Passports website for updates during COVID-19.
Apply for a new adult passport online
You can apply online if you’re 16 or over and a New Zealand citizen. You need to have a:
- RealMe verified identity — this is a RealMe account where you’ve been to a New Zealand Post Shop and had your identity checked and a photo taken
- cellphone that is linked to your RealMe account — you will need this to receive a security code to log in
- digital passport photograph
- credit card or a New Zealand Post Prezzy Card.
If you need to travel urgently
If you need to travel in a hurry you can apply online for an urgent passport. It costs $382 and is processed within 3 working days.
If you’ve changed your name
If your name has changed since your last passport was issued, you’ll have to apply for a new passport. You can apply for a passport online if your name was changed within New Zealand.
If your passport is lost or stolen
If you need to apply using a paper form
You can use the New Adult Passport Application form if you can’t apply for a passport online. You can’t apply online if:
- you’ve ever had a refugee travel document or certificate of identity travel document issued by the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA)
- the name on your RealMe account doesn’t match the name you want on your passport
- you need an endorsement printed on the observation page of your passport because, for example, your full name has more than 48 characters or you’re unable to sign your passport.