Change your gender on your official ID
If you’ve changed your gender, or if your gender has been wrongly recorded, you can update your official identification. You can record your gender as M (male), F (female) or X (gender diverse).
Change your passport
To change the gender on your passport, you need to complete a passport application form and pay for a new passport.
Change your driver licence record
You can change the gender on your driver licence record:
- when you renew or replace your licence, or
- by applying directly to the NZ Transport Agency.
This is free.
You’ll need to provide confirmation of the gender you want included on your record. This could be:
- an original evidence of identity document which states your gender, eg a passport, birth certificate, or citizenship certificate, or
- a completed statutory declaration for change of gender form.
If you’re under 18, you’ll also need to provide:
- a statutory declaration from your parent or guardian to support your change in gender
- a statutory declaration from a registered counsellor or medical professional.
Your gender is not displayed on your photo driver licence, so you will not get a new licence unless you’re also changing your name or photo.