Emergency help when you’re overseas
NZ Embassies can help you if something goes wrong while you’re outside NZ.
Check the official COVID-19 website if you are currently oversees.
Urgent after-hours help
Call the Consular Emergency Assistance number if, for example, you’re reporting a death, serious illness or injury, or arrest of a NZ citizen.
What NZ embassies can help with
NZ embassies can help you or give you advice if something goes wrong while you’re outside NZ.
- Lost, stolen or damaged passport
- Financial difficulties
- Arrest and detention
- Illness and injury
They can also help with general advice so you can help yourself, and during crises such as civil unrest and natural disasters.
What NZ embassies cannot help with
Consular and embassy staff cannot:
- pay bills for hotels, travel, legal or medical expenses or the costs of returning a body to NZ
- give you legal advice, investigate a crime or get you out of prison
- get you better conditions in prison or hospital than a local
- provide you with financial help — except in a real crisis, and you’ll have to pay any money back
- operate a mail service for you or store your stuff
- become involved in civil disputes.