Skip to main content

Have you been affected by Cyclone Gabrielle? Find out what support is available: National Emergency Management Agency —

Working in NZ after you study

After you’ve finished studying in New Zealand, you can apply for a visa that lets you stay here to work. Some students can work in NZ because of what they’re studying in another country.

Updates to visas

Immigration New Zealand has information about:

If you complete qualifications in NZ

When you graduate you can get a Post-study work visa for up to 3 years, if you meet the criteria, including having acceptable qualifications.

Post-study work visa

If you were granted a Post Study Work Visa before 26 November 2018

Your visa will be a:

  • 1-year open work visa, or
  • 2-year employer-assisted work visa.

After 26 November 2018 you can apply to:

  • stay and work for up to 2 more years if you have a 1-year open work visa
  • change the conditions of your visa — your job, location and the employer you work for — if you have an employer-assisted visa.

Changing a Post Study Work Visa

If you’re studying overseas

You can come to NZ to get practical experience to support your training.

You’ll need to apply for a student and trainee work visa.

Student and trainee work visa

You’ll need a tax number

Once you have your visa, apply for a tax number from Inland Revenue. A tax number is known as an IRD number. Give this number to your employer when you start work and use it for all your NZ tax matters.

Applying for an IRD number if you’re in NZ as a permanent migrant or visa holder

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated