Check if you need a visitor visa
Many visitors don't need to apply for a visa to come to New Zealand. Find out if you do or not.
Who doesn't need a visitor visa
If you’re coming to NZ on holiday, depending on where you're from, Immigration New Zealand (INZ) can waive your visa. This means you don’t need to apply for a visitor visa before you arrive.
If you're from Australia
You don't need to apply for a visa if you're:
- an Australian citizen, or
- hold a permanent resident visa for Australia.
You'll get a NZ resident visa when you arrive in New Zealand.
If you're from another country
If you're visiting New Zealand for less than 3 months, you may not need apply for a visitor visa before you arrive. Check the list of countries that this applies to.
If you hold a United Kingdom passport
You can come to New Zealand as a visitor for up to 6 months without applying for a visa before you arrive, if:
- you hold a UK passport, and
- have the right to live there permanently.
Who must apply for a visitor visa
You need to apply for a visitor visa before you arrive in New Zealand if any of the following apply to you.
- You're not from a country that doesn't need to apply.
- You want to visit for more than 3 months (or 6 months if you're from the United Kingdom).
- You have a criminal history.
- You have health problems that could be a danger to public health or be expensive for New Zealand's health services.
If you have a criminal history or health problems
No matter where you're from, you might have to apply if you’ve:
- served time in prison
- been deported from any country
- been involved in criminal or terrorist groups
- have a serious health problem.
Check with INZ before you travel.
How to apply
You can apply online or use a printed form.
Before you come to New Zealand
If you don't need a visitor visa before you arrive, you'll still need to give information to border officials about why you're visiting.
You need to be able to prove that you:
- have a ticket out of New Zealand, and
- enough money to live on while you're here.
Visiting NZ if you're not on holiday
Apart from coming as a tourist, there are other reasons people come to New Zealand as a visitor.