If you have problems with your landlord that you can’t sort out by talking to them, you can apply for mediation or a Tenancy Tribunal hearing.
What you have to do when you're renting
When you rent you must:
- pay your rent on time
- keep the place clean
- tell the landlord if something needs to be fixed
- be a good neighbour
- make sure the number of people living in the property isn’t more than you've agreed.
What your landlord has to do
Your landlord must:
- make sure the property is clean and tidy before you move in
- make sure the property is safe to live in and complies with all the laws that apply to it
- tell you at least 60 days before putting the rent up
- give you 90 days written notice to end your tenancy — unless they're selling the house or it'll be used by their family, in which case it's 42 days. However, if you’re on a fixed-term tenancy, notice can’t be given to end the tenancy before it expires
- give you 48 hours notice that they're going to do an inspection
- give you 24 hours notice if they're coming to fix something
- ask your permission if they want to come in for any other reason.
Renting a room in a boarding house
If you are renting a room in a boarding house the rules are slightly different. Your landlord must:
- tell you at least 28 days before putting the rent up
- give you 28 days written notice to end your tenancy
- give you 24 hours notice if they're coming into your room to do an inspection or to fix something.
What you need to know before you rent
Paying bond and rent, tenancy agreements, property inspections, sorting out problems, notice periods and getting your bond back.
Find the right place for you, sign a tenancy agreement, pay your bond and inspect the property with your landlord before you move in.
A guide to how much you should expect to pay in the area you're renting
Choose the place that’s best for your budget and lifestyle.
Solving problems with your landlord
If there's a problem, talk to your landlord first. If this doesn’t work, you can go to mediation or to the Tenancy Tribunal.
How to solve problems by talking to your landlord.
Applying for mediation, what happens and what’s next if you don’t agree.
How to apply, what happens at a hearing and the types of agreements made.