Skip to main content

Fences, driveways and drains

Neighbours should share the costs for fences and shared driveways. You may share the costs for some drains.


If you want to build a fence between your property and your neighbour’s, or do up an existing fence, your neighbour should usually pay half the costs.

The first thing you need to do is talk to the neighbour who shares the boundary with you. You need to come to an agreement with them about building the fence, and decide on the details, such as:

  • how high the new fence should be
  • what building materials it will be made of
  • how much to spend on it.

If you cannot agree, there’s a legal process to follow.

Consumer NZ has information about your rights and how to resolve a dispute.

Fencing law — Consumer NZ

Shared driveways

When a driveway gives access to 2 or more properties, it is usually jointly owned by the owners of those properties and they are responsible for maintaining and repairing the shared driveway.

Your certificate of title may have information about who needs to pay for maintenance and repairs.

Shared driveways — Citizens Advice Bureau


You may have a drain that goes through your property to your neighbour’s property, or you may have a shared private drain that passes through or services more than 1 private property.

Your certificate of title and local council bylaws may have information about who needs to pay for repairs.

Paying for repairs to private drains — Citizens Advice Bureau

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated