Skip to main content

For information about COVID-19, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website.

Apply for a Residential Care Subsidy

The Residential Care Subsidy helps with the cost of your long-term care and is paid directly to your rest home or hospital. You'll need to have your care needs, and then your finances, assessed.

  1. 1

    Arrange a care needs assessment

    You need to contact a needs assessor in your area. You can:

    • ask your doctor, hospital, social worker or other health provider to arrange an assessment — or they can tell you who to contact, or
    • phone your local District Health Board and ask to be put through to a Needs Assessment Service Coordinator, or
    • contact your local Needs Assessment Service Coordinator.

    Find your local District Health Board

    Find your local Needs Assessment Service Coordinator

  2. 2

    Complete and submit the Residential Care Subsidy form

    If you need long-term care, your needs assessor will give you the application form for the subsidy.

    Complete the form and send it to Work and Income.

  3. 3

    Have your financial means assessed

    Work and Income will arrange a financial means assessment, if your assets are below the threshold and you meet the criteria for Residential Care Subsidy. This will work out if you will need to make an income contribution to your care. They look at your income, age and if you have any dependent children.

    If you do not meet the criteria for the subsidy, Work and Income will confirm this in a letter.

    If the assessment shows you can't get a subsidy, you may be able to get a Residential Care Loan.

  4. 4

    You'll hear from Work and Income

    Work and Income will tell you, the Ministry of Health, the District Health Board and your rest home or hospital the result of your financial means assessment.

    If you aren't eligible for the Residential Care Subsidy you have to pay for cost of your care. You might be able to get a Residential Care Loan.

  5. 5

    Payments start

    The Ministry of Health will pay your rest home or hospital directly.

    You can get your payments backdated 90 days from the day your application is received.

    More about the Residential Care Subsidy

    Residential Care Subsidy

Contact Seniorline

Seniorline provides information for older people about residential care, community services and how to get help at home.

Freephone: 0800 725 463 (NZ only)

Phone: +64 9 375 4396



Utility links and page information

Is there something wrong with this page?

Page last updated: