Skip to main content

For information about COVID-19, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website

Personal medical alarms

You can apply for government help to pay for a monitored medical alarm service if you have an ongoing illness or disability.

Who can get help

If you are eligible, the government can help with the ongoing costs of medical alarms if you have:

  • ongoing health conditions
  • a disability, or
  • an injury.

Your eligibility for government help depends on your personal circumstances, for example your income.

What government help is available

If you have a health condition or disability

The Disability Allowance from Work and Income can help cover the rental and monitoring costs of your medical alarm. You can apply for you, your partner, or a child.

Find out who can get the Disability Allowance, which medical alarm suppliers are MSD-accredited, what support you can get and how to apply. Your eligibility depends on how much you earn.

Medical alarms — Work and Income

After an accident or injury

If the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) is supporting you after an accident or injury, they may be able to cover the costs of aids and equipment for your recovery.

Getting aids and equipment to help with an injury — ACC

Living in a retirement village

If your alarm was paid for by a Disability Allowance before you moved into the retirement village, when you move in you will still receive the Disability Allowance for your alarm if:

  • you still need it, and
  • the cost is not covered by the service fee at the retirement village.

If the cost is part of the standard service fee you’re paying to live in a retirement village, you cannot apply for a Disability Allowance to pay for it.

Medical alarms — Work and Income

What other help is available

If you are a veteran

If your service qualifies you, and you cannot get other government help, the Veterans’ Independence Programme helps with the cost of a medical alarm.

Find out what support you might be able to receive on the Veterans’ Affairs website:

If you are 65 and over

Your SuperGold Card offers discounts from medical alarm suppliers in some areas of NZ.

SuperGold Card

To find out which providers are MSD-accredited contact Senior Services at the Ministry of Social Development.

Medical alarm suppliers

Most people get their alarm from a supplier accredited by the Ministry of Social Development (MSD). This means the supplier:

  • offers agreed standards of service
  • has an approved complaints process, and
  • provides the alarm at a reasonable cost.

Find the list on the Work and Income website.

MSD-accredited medical alarm suppliers

Utility links and page information

Is there something wrong with this page?

Page last updated: