Skip to main content

Scam alert: emails offering refunds from are not legitimate. If you receive this scam or other suspicious emails, report them to

How to order a civil union certificate

It’s easiest to order a civil union certificate online. You can also order by phone, post, or in person.


$33 for a civil union certificate.

How to pay

You can use a credit, debit or prepaid gift card (for example Prezzy card) when paying:

  • online
  • by post
  • by phone
  • in person.

If you do not have 1 of these then you need to order:

Delivery cost to an NZ address

Standard post

Free delivery to an address inside NZ.

Courier costs

$5 for a courier to an address inside NZ.

Delivery cost to an address outside NZ

Standard post

Free delivery to an address outside NZ.

Outside NZ courier costs

  • Australia, Asia, Pacific $15
  • USA $20
  • Europe, UK $25
  • Rest of the world $30

Steps to order a civil union certificate

  1. 1

    Before you order

    What you’ll need to know

    Information about the civil union

    You need to know the:

    • full names of the people whose certificate you are ordering
    • date of the civil union.

    It helps with the search if you know the place of civil union

    Information about yourself

    Even if you’re ordering someone else’s certificate, you need to know the date and place of:

    • your birth in NZ, or
    • your marriage or civil union in NZ, or
    • your child’s birth in NZ, and their full name.

    If you do not have this information you can not order online. You can choose other ways to order below.

    Births, Deaths and Marriages use the information to check who you are, then record your name in the Access Register. The register is a record of who orders certificates.

    More about the Access Register

  2. 3

    When you’ll get the certificate

    Most people get their certificates in 1 to 2 weeks.

    If the record can not be found

    You’ll be refunded $8 if Births, Deaths and Marriages can not find the record of the civil union.

    If you want to use the civil union certificate outside NZ

    You may need to get an apostille or authentication certificate for the civil union certificate or have it translated into another language.

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated