Skip to main content

For information about COVID-19, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website

How to get fertility treatment

Some fertility treatments are funded for eligible people in NZ.

Ask for a referral to a fertility clinic

If you’re having difficulty getting pregnant, talk to your GP or other health specialist about being referred to a specialist fertility clinic for help.

The clinic will help you work out what treatment might be best for you, and whether you’re eligible for a publicly funded treatment.

Eligibility for public funding

To work out whether you’re eligible for publicly funded fertility treatment, the specialist will review your test results and fertility problems, then complete an assessment with you.

The assessment considers things like:

  • your age
  • how long you’ve been trying to get pregnant
  • if you’ve been sterilised or already had children
  • whether you smoke
  • your body mass index.

The assessment criteria change from time to time. If you do not meet the criteria, making lifestyle changes like quitting smoking or losing weight could help you to become eligible. Your specialist will discuss this with you at your appointment.

To be eligible for any funded treatment, you and your partner (if you have one) both have to be New Zealand citizens or eligible to live in NZ for at least 2 years.

You may also be eligible for a funded consultation with the fertility specialist.

Public funding and eligibility

If you are not eligible for funding

You can pay for private fertility treatment if you do not meet the eligibility criteria for publicly funded treatment, or if you’re on the waiting list.

Utility links and page information

Is there something wrong with this page?

Page last updated: